Sunday, June 5, 2011

Update

This week was a pretty tough one for us.  On Tuesday, Larry had his two week appointment.  When we weighed him, it showed that he weighed 9 lbs, 2 oz.  He had been such a fussy baby, and he hadn't had many wet/poopy diapers the last few days before his appointment.  When the doctor came in to see me, she let me know that Larry had lost 16% of his body weight.  She also let me know that she had never seen a baby loose that much weight after birth before.

I was so frustrated.  Larry was fussy, and tired all the time.  He wanted to nurse constantly, but he was also really fighting breastfeeding.  Even though I felt like I spent most of my time feeding him, he was still not progressing.  I felt like a horrible mom!


The doctor had me start him on formula, and she wanted me to bottle feed him.  She said that breastfeeding uses more calories than bottle feeding.  She had me mix the formula so it was more concentrated, and had higher calories than normal.  I needed to feed him every two hours, and then I also needed to pump to get my milk supply up.  She also wanted me to eat 5 small meals a day and drink tons of water.  It took over my entire day, and it was very overwhelming, but it all paid off.  I went back the next day, and Larry had gained 3 oz.  I was able to start feeding  him every 3 hours, and I got to breastfeed him every 3rd feeding, and then supplement with the higher calorie formula.

She had me come in again on Friday, and he had gained another 3 oz.  He is still over a pound under his birth weight, but I am back to breastfeeding exclusively, and only supplementing when he still seems hungry after eating.  I think things are finally starting to click.  When I first started breastfeeding exclusively, he never seemed satisfied, but he is finally back to being my happy boy.

My mom came and helped me out this week, and the kids are finally out of school, and they are able to help me out more.  They are such great helpers.  Today, Allen was holding Larry, and Larry filled his diaper and then some.  Allen was so grossed out, he just about dropped him trying to pass him off to Hubby.  Now that we have the helping out taken care of, maybe we should start working on diaper changing.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pics. I LOVE the one of Morgan holding Larry and giving him a kiss. Too cute. I'm glad that Larry is starting to gain weight. Hopefully he can keep it up. I'm sure it takes a lot of stuff to fill those cute kissable cheeks

NaeNer said...

I guess it's a good thing he started out so big.. Scary that he lost so fast though. He is SO cute (just like all your kids) and I'm so glad he's doing better. Hopefully that means sleeping better and everything so mommy and daddy can get some sleep too.