Monday, January 24, 2011

Ticket Saturday

I got this idea from a friends blog.  I planned to take pictures, and share our experience, but our movie night turned out to be so hectic, that I never got around to it.  (My friend has some great pictures if you want a visual.  :)

My kids struggle to get jobs done.  They act like I am torturing them if I ask them to do anything on the weekends, so we decided to try a Ticket Saturday.  Originally I was going to just start giving them tickets for the jobs they did, and then have them find out later what the tickets were for, but I ended up advertising the whole thing to get them motivated.  We made a list of all the jobs that needed to be done on our white board, and organized them into one ticket and two ticket jobs.  I let the kids know that for 6 tokens they could get a little of everything at the movie night.  It took a little while for a couple of my kids to get going, and I even heard from a couple of them that they would just pass on the movie night, but eventually they all worked very hard and helped to clean.

We set up a little concessions stand, and let the kids buy popcorn, soda, and candy bars with their tickets.  We turned off all the lights and watched "Despicable Me."  We had a great night, and I now have a new way to motivate my kids to get their jobs done.

2 comments:

C said...

Good idea! We used to have a chart and they would get their allowance -- it was all or nothing. They either finished everything on the chart and got their allowance or none of it. I would tell them"this is what needs to be done for our family. Dad pays bills, Mom does housework (etc) and you have your jobs." Most of the time it worked but some weeks they were empty-handed and couldn't go to fun things with their friends. I think I was a little too rigid and could have been a little more flexible. I like this idea because they can see the tangible results fairly quickly.

Red said...

I love that idea! I think you were perfectly strict. Your kids turned out great.