Saturday, May 14, 2011

Makenzie, the Brave!

On Thursday, Allen came home from school and got right on his homework.  He likes to do it down in his bedroom, so he is not distracted by all the younger kids.  Morgan and I went up to my room, so he could read, and I could lie down.  As we were reading, Allen came running up the stairs to let me know that there was a hornet in his room.  I HATE hornets and wasps.  Hubby finally has me convinced me that not all yellow and black stinging things are called "Bees."  I have learned that I can handle bees, but I hate hornets and wasps.  Unfortunately, the hornets and wasps are the insects that always seem to make it into our house.  One of the best things about our dog, is he eats hornets.  The year before we got him, I killed at least one hornet a week.  Since he became a part of our family, I see very few hornets in our house.  I told Allen that he needed to take care of the hornet, and to have Max help him.

Allen came up a few minutes later.  He had gone into the garage, and he had found our Ortho bug killer spray.  He tried to kill the hornet that way, but he couldn't hit it through the blinds.  He finally came and asked me if he could have Makenzie and Max kill the hornet.  I told him to go and ask her.  (I really am not usually this lazy, but I have absolutely no energy left!)

Makenzie went downstairs where Allen sent her into his bedroom with Max, and closed the door.  (Allen stayed in the hall).  Makenzie took a squirt gun with her, and she shot the hornet.  Then she had Allen come upstairs, and fetch the flyswatter which he passed her under the door.  She smashed the hornet, and fed it to Max. 

My 9 year old daughter saved us all from the big, bad hornet!  I'm pretty darn proud of her.

No comments: