Friday, January 8, 2010

Reviving Dinner

A few months ago when we were cleaning out our freezer, we found two bags of frozen chicken breasts with severe freezer burn. In the past when we have found freezer burned chicken, we have tried to make meals with the chicken, and the entire meal always tastes awful!! The disgusting taste that the chicken has seemed to take over all other flavors, no matter what sauce or spice we put on it. We were so disappointed to find a lot of ruined meat.

I got online and started researching if there was any way at all to revive the chicken. I found a few websites that recommended boiling the chicken, but then the other comments said to just throw the chicken away. That there was nothing to do.

I decided to try boiling the chicken. I really had nothing to loose but a little time. One of the websites that I looked at said to boil the chicken for 12 hours. As I talked to my mom, she said that that was overkill, and that 1 hour should be fine. (As a side note, as I talked to my mom, she had no idea what freezer burn was, or how it tasted. It amazed me!) I decided to go for a happy medium, and I boiled it for 4 hours.

After boiling the chicken, I transferred it to the crock pot and shredded it (It pretty much fell apart anyway) I cooked it for a few more hours with some homemade barbecue sauce. I made some buns out of my favorite roll recipe. It wasn't gourmet, but it turned out really good. There wasn't even a hint of the nasty freezer burned taste.

It felt amazing to take something that I thought was ruined, and make a meal that my family loved.

Some day, I need to learn to dance a jig. There are many situations in life that require a jig.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That does look yummy! I was wondering just this week about some frozen chicken in our freezer that is a little on the freezer burn side. I think I might have to try it!